Unless you work in the industry or you’re really interested in asphalt paving in Washington, you probably don’t know a whole lot about what paving contractors actually do. As professionals in the asphalt business, we’d like you to know everything about asphalt paving before you choose to hire us for a job. Here are several of the most important facts about paving that a lot of people don’t know about:
- Asphalt has been around for centuries: While it wasn’t exactly like the asphalt we have today, several ancient civilizations had many uses for asphalt. Beginning in the fifth millennium B.C., asphalt was used in the baskets that were used to gather crops. Its waterproofing properties also made it a great option for repairing ships, as well as useful as mortar for rudimentary homes.
- Asphalt is fuel-efficient material: A fuel-efficient paving material doesn’t make a whole lot of sense when you first think about it. Asphalt is a smooth paving material, which means cars need to use less energy to travel down the road. A car that needs less energy consumes less fuel. In addition, those cars will produce fewer emissions, making asphalt a good choice for the environment.
- Asphalt is a quiet material: Asphalt’s smooth texture makes for a relatively quiet drive when cars are going down the road. A quiet drive reduces the need for expensive noise barriers.
- Asphalt is a durable material: Roads, driveways and parking lots made out of asphalt are sure to last longer than their concrete counterparts. Since asphalt paving in Washington is more durable, it needs to be replaced far less often. Over time, asphalt pays for itself, since it won’t need to be repaved as frequently.
- Asphalt is a relatively inexpensive material: Even though it’s durable, asphalt does need to be repaired or repaved during its lifespan. Luckily, paving with asphalt is much less expensive than paving with concrete. Repairing asphalt cracks and holes is also a lot cheaper.
- Asphalt is a popular material: Its low price and long lifespan make asphalt the most commonly used paving material across the country. In fact, about 93 percent of the roads in the U.S. are paved with asphalt! Asphalt is also used on 31 out of the 33 NASCAR racetracks in the country. It’s also safe to say that every airplane you’ve ever been on likely took off from an asphalt runway.
- Asphalt is a recyclable material: Once an asphalt driveway or road is replaced, the old road is often hauled off and reused for another project. Since it’s recyclable as well as fuel-efficient, it’s one of the best paving materials for our environment.
- Asphalt is quick-drying: An asphalt road can be driven on pretty much as soon as it dries. Seeing as how road crews need to be able to repave or repair a road as quickly as possible, asphalt is a great option for paving roads.
Hopefully the information above has introduced you to some new facts about asphalt paving in Washington. If you’re eager to learn more or ready to start on an upcoming project, please call Jimini Paving to learn more about asphalt and all of our services.
Categorised in: Asphalt Paving
This post was written by Writer